Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Loving your home...



Hello! How are you? How is the New Year treating you? Did you make lots of resolutions? Yes, too many or no? Without sounding preachy, may I suggest a resolution? How about loving your home, as it is? Not how you would like it to be, but as it is, right now. A lot of times I find myself thinking, just add that one vase/lantern/painting/chair/table/wall/room(s) (substitute for whatever your craving is), and the house would be perfect. Maybe its great already and what I really need to add/change is myself.
Sure, I love moving furniture and other tchotchkes around and giving everything a fresh look. And that is a lot of fun. But I am talking about a quest for magazine-perfection. Are you always striving to make it look 'perfect'? Does this sound like a lot of pop psychology or does this sound familiar? Get your cup of tea (or your favorite whatever) and join in the conversation. I would love to hear from you.



Photographs taken by and copyrighted to Joanna Henderson.

9 comments:

Margot said...

Well, that is a nice idea ofcourse, but we're in the middle of renovating so we don't have such things as walls.. ;) Which sometimes makes it a bit hard to love the house. But I know it will turn out great (perfect!) and I'll love it then! Happy New Year!

Once Upon A Tea Time said...

Hi Margot, I have lived through remodels and I know how hard it is. I guess what I am saying is to let go and love it anyway. If we are constantly trying to get a 'look', when do you enjoy it?

Sudha said...

Hey

happy new year...hope to see a lot off yummy stuff on ur blog this year!!

sumanam said...

Happy New Year to you too..

Our house is fairly new to us, we moved in last September, and everyday I find myself changing something, if not big maybe a little corner, light , picture frames... and I don't know what's wrong with my family (well kids are only 7 & 3)they look at me as Iam crazy..

Divya said...

I love our place as it is. But can we make that a half-year resolution?? I tend to settle into a look for a long time... but 'long time' is a relative phrase isnt it?!

Footloose and Screwloose said...

In Hong Kong, the apartments are so small that if one can fit in a queen size bed, it is an achievement. I am pretty bad at coordinating stuff and colours but still try my best to decorate the apartment. Another problem with HK is that apart from the expensive designer stuff, there are very few stores where one can shop.

At times my Ikea furniture pains me n the brown curtains that came with the apartment piss me off but when I light the candles and sit down with my cuppa of chai looking at the ships coming home in the evening, no place feels as perfect.

Once Upon A Tea Time said...

sumana, I think that is part of the 'new house' syndrome :) and totally understandable. I have lived in our current home for almost 6 years but the first couple of them were spent in decorating and redecorating as I tried to match the picture in my head with my budget.

Once Upon A Tea Time said...

Divya, 6 months seems reasonable. Actually, come to think of it, 6 months without tinkering with this and that might be an achievement!

Once Upon A Tea Time said...

Footloose and Screwloose,
That must be quite a view1 And I really like your attitude :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...